June Wrap Up

Hello readers!
Today's post is my June wrap up!

Book I read:

I got way ahead of my Goodreads reading goal this month, so I took my time with this book. I already have a review up for it. I managed to fly through it faster than I expected.


Books I bought:

Now I'd like to preface that I didn't plan to purchase any books this month. I was having a hard time with unemployment paying out my back payment and told myself the remainder of my savings would go to living expenses until my boss finally calls me to come to work.
Then I went to my local Bookstore, Grassroots, which was doing an outside sale where all books were .99 cents. 
Usually at these sales, I benefit most from pick up reference material. Like classic literature in cool, out of print editions. However they were having a decent sale inside as well.


In this stack:
The World's Greatest Art: Angels & Fairies
I picked this up as a reference. It's mostly filled with artwork of angels and fairies. I enjoy these little books strictly to reference if I'm reading or writing about the topics they cover.

Sierra Club coffee table book
Firstly, I don't support the Sierra Club. It's a long story which I may get to some day.
However, purchasing this second hand means I didn't donate to the organization. I chose this book because I live in the Sierra Nevadas and I enjoy reading about the history of where I live. I have an entire stack of books on Nevada/Sierra Nevada that I hope to do full reviews on in a post one day.

The Disney Book
This is a huge coffee table book on the History of Disney, from Walts inception, the beginning of Disney land and some of the older cartoons and films. I've only flipped through it so far, but most of the material reminds me of The Imagineering Story that is available on Disney+.

A Pop Up Guide to Hogwarts
I know that J.K. Rowling is currently a huge topic of discussion regarding her comments on the Trans-gendered community. Considering where I sourced this book, I know that she doesn't receive profits from my purchase and I do still really enjoy the Wizarding World. I plan on making a separate post on this topic in the near future.


In this stack:
The Shooting Man's Bedside Book
I am a gun owner, and I find old-timey books like this charming. It's a collection of essays of gun owners for the nature enthusiast which is me.

Edgar Allen Poe Complete Tales & Poems
Technically, I already have the Penguin classic collection of Poe stories, however it was really hard to pass up this edition with the beautiful cover work of the same raven on the spine, especially for .99 cents. I'll just be crazy and have two versions for a while.

In Nevada
This is just another book on Nevada that I picked up, same reasoning as the Sierra Club book.

The Complete Fiction of H. P. Lovecraft
Again, I already have the Penguin classic version of Lovecraft's work. They also had this same edition for Poe, I just liked the raven better. Lovecraft is one of my favorite authors. I thoroughly enjoy where his imagination, or sanity, took him for stories similar to Cthulu. 
Vote for Cthulu for 2020 kids. Cause why pick the lesser of two evils?

House of Dragons
I mentioned this in my anticipated releases for this year. This was the priciest book I picked up in this haul, which I expected because it is a new release.

And I Darken
This book has been on my TBR for almost a year. I almost picked up the second book, since it was .99 cents, however I refrained since I've heard mixed things about the series and I don't want to pull another 'having the entire series just to purge' moment. I think this book was around $3.

Queen of The Tearling
This copy I picked up used and is my flagship for getting into the next genre I want to explore, which is adult fiction. Sam from thoughtsontomes has talked about this book a bit, so I'm excited to dive in. I was originally looking for N.K. Jemisin books but they have a very small collection.

Monstress Vol !.
I have technically already read this via Kindle, however I believe I mentioned in one of my reviews for this series so far, I do want to pick up physical copies because I love the artwork so much. This was unstickered, but also brand new when I purchased it so I'm not sure how much I actually paid. I do plan on combing this book store for the rest of the series as well. 

Comments

Popular Posts