Favorite & Least Favorite Book Couples

Hello readers!
Today's post I wanted to talk about some of my favorite and least favorite book couples. All the couples mentioned are from YA fantasy series I've read recently or are more popular. I may love one or both of the characters, but have an issue with their romance within the story. They are also in no particular order.


Favorites
  • Cassian & Nesta from A Court of Thorns & Roses: This duo from ACOWAR to ACOFAS certainly went through some changes in their relationship. The tension that built up between them from book two certainly didn't dissolve once the threat of Highburn was eliminated, and although a lot of people don't care for Nesta, I think this was a great choice on Maas's part. The author is adding variety to these couples she tends to write about, which is a large issue with some of her previous books. Showing the trials and the fact that although you may be attracted to each other, the relationship may not work out is a very real scenario. Nesta is personally one of my favorite characters that Sarah has written because she's not ment to be likable, she's meant to be honest. She's hurt, and she doesn't hide that fact, despite not wanting to open up to others about why she's hurt. She faces things head on and is blunt about it. I hope to see Nesta grow in the future of this series. Whether it's with Cassian as a romantic interest or as what help her heal.
  • Iseult & Aeduan from Truthwitch: If anyone on this planet dislikes this couple, they are wrong. Point blank. Dennard did an amazing job with both of these characters and their balance. Aeduan is on a mission that he is unrelenting on and can trust in that instict. Iseult is fresh and new and powerful in her own write. She derails what Aeduan thinks he can trust in with his natural instincts. They both have character outside of their relationship, but have a dynamic when they are together. This couple has been refereed to as a "Hades & Persephone" and I would agree that it was a very loose adaptation of the dynamic of the greek couple. Over-all they are my all time favorite book couple.
  • Chaol & Yrene from Tower of Dawn: I may have mentioned this before (/s), but I truly didn't like Chaol for all of the first 6 books. It's hard to speak on what exactly I disliked because my opinion of him has changed so much since finishing Queen of Shadows. I think Yrene really helped Chaol find direction for his stubborn-ness by teaching him that you don't have the have blind loyalty to one thing for forever to have fullfilment. People can change. In Kingdom of Ash I felt like their contribution was downplayed a bit and Chaol specifically could have been used more. I think Maas realized she created a character people were split on and chose to downplay with than embrace him as a complex person. 
Least Favorites
  • Eve & Ezekiel from Lifel1k3*: Just to start off, I don't plan on continuing this series for a multitude of reasons so my opinion of these two is based on just the first book. This very much was an insta-love trope, and despite the fact that technically the two had developed feelings prior to the traumatic events that happened to Eve, I wasn't convinced they truly cared for each other. I do like that Jay added the twist of Ezekiel being the one that shot Eve, I think that's the most promising piece of their relationship. However the weird dynamic that was Eve being Ezekiel's creators daughter had kind of a 'slave loves slaver' type romance that I'm not really interested in.
  • Lysandra & Aedion from Throne of Glass: Despite where this couple landed in Kingdom of Ash, I really could have done without their relationship becoming romantic. The origins definitely sat in a weird pool of Maas just pairing up all of her characters rather than allowing them to explore a platonic relationship. Considering Lysandra's past I feel like for her to start a relationship with Aedion would have gone against her characters natural instincts, not just because she used to be a courtesan but also because she was restricted magically from being herself. She needed time to try to find herself, because otherwise she was just a two dimensional character.
  • Jude & Cardan from The Cruel Prince: Don't get me wrong, I love these two and would love to see them together. However I don't think their relationship was fleshed out enough on paper. Book two convinced me more than the conclusion that Cardan actually cared for Jude, which up until that point could be construed as a sick joke. I am trying to pause their relationship in book 2 and try not to think of them romantically in book 3 because the progress and love that landed Jude married to Cardan in secret was gone in the first 100 pages of the final book. I love them, their relationship just wasnt very solid at the end. 
Two love triangles I want to talk about but don't fit into either category. 


  • Mia, Tric & Ashlin from Nevernight*: Let me just say, if Mia had been single and non-committed to either Tric or Ashlin for the series, I think it would have been 100% okay. Now, in Book 1 I didn't like Tric nor did I mind his death because it ment Mia could have her focus and we didn't have a relationship to worry about. I wanted Mia to have no strings attached when it came to her conquering the church and also her revenge. In book two, I didn't mind Mia and Ashlin because they didn't come off as committed, more-so just exploring their relationship as two people who didn't agree with the church and had their own agenda. In book 3, I enjoyed both Ashlin and Tric but I still didn't care to see Mia commit to either one. I enjoyed Ashlin being written as this extremely passionate person, because that fit the character from book 1, but she now felt more like a sex puppet for Mia than anyone of any great use or importance and it played down her character. I enjoyed Tric because book 3 actually stimulated his character as a non-romantic ally for Mia, despite his intentions to come back being seated in his desire to be with Mia romantically. My favorite part of the final book was the scene where Tric and Ashlin are talking about Mia privately while she sleeps in the church. It allowed for them to hear each other out and go from two people competing for Mia's affection to two people who genuinely care for Mia while she ascends to her destiny. Tric leaving so Ashlin could take his place is hard for me to define because although it speaks volumes to Tric, I feel like Ashlin coming back was more-so for Tric's character than to actually assist Mia. 
  • Alina, The Darkling & Mal from Shadow & Bone*: I know that shipping Alina and The Darkling was all the rage when the series first came out and I totally missed the boat. Personally, I think the Alina/Darkling ship was strictly built up by either fan-fiction or tumblr smut because I didn't get much of a romantic relationship at all from these two. I think The Darkling was lonely, I think Alina was lonely, but neither of them were desperate for romantic affection. The Darkling spent decades trying to propel the Grisha forward in history. Alina was an orphan who just found out about her power and the only person she could really share her experiences with was a moody guy who was super sneaky. That doesn't mean I ship her with Mal either. I think ultimately Alina found that her life as the light bringer wouldn't bring her fulfillment which is why she chose to allow people to think she died a Martyr. She chose Mal because he was what was comfortable for her and meant a normal life. Alina and Nikolai could have had a fling, but there is also a lot to unpack there that may or may not have led to a successful relationship.

Do you guys agree with me? Do you feel differently? Let me know in the comments below!

* There are spoilers, so if you haven't read the book please be cautious.

Comments

Popular Posts