Cresent City: House of Earth & Blood by Sarah J. Maas

Cresent City: House of Earth & Blood by Sarah J. Maas
♥♥♥♥♥
Title: Cresent City: House of Earth & Blood
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Year Published: 2020
Format: Physical
Genre: Fiction, Urban Fantasy, New Adult

Review*:
   I think out of all of SJMass's books, this one definitely falls in the middle for me. ACOMAF specifically is the top, the second and third books of TOG are the bottom. I know two things are for sure though, I have completely changed my narrative about this series since I first heard about it and the second is that I'm most definitely invested.
  Just a small disclaimer, I have been drinking prior to this review and I am mostly likely not going to revisit it before posting. 
   Bryce is by far the one SJM character I identify with the most. I have never been a party girl, as she lets people believe, however I am very much about letting people think the worst of me and then prove them wrong. Her temperment and most of her recreational activities also most align with myself as well, so I actually liked her the most out of all of the characters. I know quite a few people claimed Danika was the better character, but I think by putting a star as bright as Danika into this narrative was smart because it added depth to the story. If Danika lived or if it was vice versa, I don't think it would have been as impact-ful.
   As far as Hunt goes, he's an alright love interest. I would have loved a little Connor time because it felt like there could have been more of a slow burn rather than a learn to love as there is with Hunt. I also appreciate that we only got a finger bang scene, not a full blown sex scene in this book. Maas took her time with their relationship which I enjoyed just cruising through.
   All of the supporting characters I haven't specifically called out by name are also fantastic. I really enjoy the balance of history and new friends that we get within the series. Maas did a great job with building their characteristics and amping them up for a lot of potential in the future. If her M.O. for having a nameless villain is still valid then clearly the Autumn King is up to something.
   Over-all the writing I think is what made the book drag in rating a bit. The first 100 pages, I thought I was reading an urban fantasy romance novel I bought for $1 on amazon. No shade, just not what I have expectations of going into a Maas novel. I understand that this series is supposed to be a farther reach for her, and I agree this genre is different, but you still can hear Maas writing in it. I personally find her writing style the most comforting because she doesn't tend to muddy things. Towards the last 150 pages, I felt like I was reading the book I wanted the other 650 pages, which gives me hope for what the rest of this series will look like. I have a small feeling the next book may be a little shorter because she did A FUCKTON of building in this one, but I'm excited. I hoep Hunt and Bryce don't do this fucking mating bond. I want some more drama-lama and they take down this angelic patriarchy. 
   To wrap myself up, I enjoyed this book more than I expected to. Maas's writing is still one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series enough to pre-order. I would suggest this to literally anyone who doesn't innately just hate Maas' writing for whatever their purpose was.
   
  

*This section may contain spoilers.

Comments

Popular Posts