Witch Baby by Francesca Lia Block

Witch Baby by Francesca Lia Block
♥♥♥♥♥
Title: Witch Baby
Author: Francesca Lia Block
Published: 1991
Format: E-book
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult, Magical Realism

Review*:
   This is a re-read for me as I think I've mentioned a few times, I've been a fan of Block's work for a while. I believe it was in 2018 I did a review on several of her works in a singular post and I mentioned this one mostly from memory. The main reason why I reread this, which I mentioned in my January wrap up, was because my Goodreads counted it towards my reading goal this year prior to me actually reading it, so I chose to at least earn the credit.
   The last time I can remember reading this was at least in the early 2000's. I want to say around 2004-2005. It was one of the last books of Blocks I hadn't read at the time and although I love Witch Baby, I remember this book wasn't what I expected. I prefer Witch Baby's story in another one of Block's books, where she was more defined in her chaotic energy while she explored college. In Witch Baby, which is solely about Witch Baby, we are introduced to Baby's personality in a much more juvenile sense. Though her age is never technically defined, her actions kind of speak to her being an early teen. 
   What I ultimately did not care for in this book was the small line that I felt like we teetered between being inappropriate to other people's cultures and race. I don't remember it being this jarring in reading it previously but characters like Cherokee or the fact that they wear feather headresses seems like it would be considered cultural appropriation according to the climate we are currently in. 
   As far as Witch Baby goes, outside of her juvenile demeanor in this book, I always really related with her character in the series. What ultimately drew me to Block's writing was her ability to capture these girls in adolescence that made it okay to be the odd duck. Cowboy boot roller skates? Totally normal. Entire vintage outfits of lace slips and Jimmy Choo heels with a leather jacket, normal af. She captured a subdued "manic pixie dream girl" and put her in L.A. and it brought confidence to those of us that felt like the black sheep of norm. Especially in the early 2000's when being rail thin and low rider jeans was 100% what was in and you didn't fit either of those trends.
   Witchy Baby is the little dark cloud in the odd-ball scene though. Her dark features and collection of grim newspaper stories shows that although she fits into these oddly dressed dorks, she's also aware of all the pain in the world. Even once she feels like she's finally found her place in the world, she can see how others wear their pain even in happiness.


*This section may contain spoilers


Comments

Popular Posts