LifeL1k3 by Jay Kristoff

LifeL1k3 by Jay Kristoff
♥♥♥♥♥**
Title: LifeL1ke 
Author: Jay Kristoff
Published: 2018
Format: Kindle
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult, Sci-Fi

Review*:
   I didn't plan on diving into this book already, but here we are. I found out Kindle Cloud Reader exists, so I'm pretty sure all of my kindle TBR books will be annihilated soon. This is the third Kristoff series I've read and I'll probably talk most about similar themes I find in his writing throughout this review.
   First off, it took me a minute to get into the book. As I sit back and reflect and observe how I read, I don't think that is necessary a flaw to the book as much as a flaw to the format I read it in. I tend to find myself really clicking more with physical books, whether it's my brain relishing in the act of closing the tome and putting it on my self or associating a physical object like a book as a check mark I don't know. Once I did, I found myself relating the beginning of the story to so many others. The most obvious is the Mad-Max world that this story takes place in, I also felt some Monsters of Verity and Lunar Chronicles as well. 
  The characters I can run through pretty simply my thoughts: 
Eve/Ana- Meh
Zeke- Meh, kinda clingy
Lemon- decent
Grandpa- meh
Cricket- my bleeding heart
Kaizer- obv. fav
Hope- felt bad
Gabriel- meh
Faith- I am intrigued
  What I want to dive into first and foremost, which I think kind of reflects on my thoughts on our characters, is that there hasn't been a strong connection between myself and any of Kristoff's characters. The only exception I can find is with Mia, however the general ruthlessness of her character I think masks the lack of connection I can find with everyone else. Her un-lovableness is kind of part of her charm, right?
   What I would love to see though, is for Kristoff to pause in his epic novel writing to take one of his book ideas and try it as a story-line for a movie. Lets all be honest here, the film industry seriously lacks imagination. Book writers are currently sucking it all out of Hollywood indirectly and to be honest, it's not to blame novelists. However, if you marry a story line like Lifel1k3 to be specific with the details that are fleshed out with the emotion in motion picture, I think he would excel greatly in the film industry. The lack of emotional connection I feel with his characters on paper would be remedied with the talents of an actress playing Evie and conveying the emotions I think are meant to be read between the lines and pages.
  The story line is pretty solid in most of his books. Sam from Thoughts on Tomes accurately conveys the issues specifically in the Illuminae series, which I think is our collective first time seeing Kristoff finish a series. No offense to the Lotus War series, I just personally see Kristoff's popularity increasing post Endsinger's release. Nevernight we see a fully fleshed out plot that has these beautiful pieces of foreshadowing and a steady flow through Mia's story. 
   To go back to Lifel1k3, I think Jay has set himself up for a fantastic story. Although I don't understand a lot of the motives for all of the characters at this moment, I know I can trust him moving through the rest of the series to have some epic arcs and closure for characters. I'm EXTREMELY curious to see how the relationship between Evie, Zeke, and Lemon Fresh unfolds in the next few books, especially with Zeke loving an almost dead girl, Lemon Fresh being deemed someone important, and Evie being her own agent. I also want Faith to go on a full-on mental breakdown and for Grace to come back to stir the shit pot. I hope Hope (aha) finds peace in her own grave because her story was sad.
   In the end, I didn't think I'd want to continue the series about halfway through book one, but the second half really drew me in to see where this shit storm ends up. I would suggest this book to anyone who in general likes Jay's writing and maybe to a slower reader, simply because I think parts of this story need time to sit on.
  I leave you know, with my favorite Lemon Fresh quotes. She has BIG Sagittarius energy, as the kids say.











*This section may contain spoilers
**This rating has been calculated using the CAWPILE system.

Comments

Popular Posts