Friday Fright vol. I ep. IV

Hello readers!
Today is our final post for horror movie reviews!
This week I tried to stick to the classics I haven't seen yet.


Rosemary's Baby
Directed by Roman Polanski
Released 1968
Scare Level: 😱😱
Gore Level: 🩸🩸🩸
Over-all Rating: 💚💚💚
Review:
  This is definitely an OG classic. Not just because it's from the 60's, but there are also a lot of scenes that are replicated in other movies.
  I think what truly makes the movie horrifying is the manic that Rosemary experiences. Not because she is experiencing it, but more-so how the people around her respond to her concerns. She is very influenced by the people she surrounds herself with, which is seen as she switches Dr. based on what others persuade her to do and takes an unknown tonic for most of her pregnancy. As Rosemary starts to believe that the people she trusted may be less than honest, her concerns are played as being a delusional pregnant woman. The story builds up to make Rosemary more and more helpless and easier for others to manipulate. 
  Although during current times, it wouldn't be as obvious, the potential for women to feel isolated is still a concern. It's also something that is a common theme in horror movies in general. For instance, in the Hills Have Eyes, one of the women characters is preyed upon because she is a mother and then is utilized as a breeding machine during her captivity. There is a level of helplessness that is preyed upon to feed into our instincts to protect our children, and the manipulation of how far a person would go for those they love.

  There could be an argument for sexism in this movie, due to all the men around Rosemary manipulating her. I don't necessarily agree that the message is laden with sexism, I think the director was looking for the emotional response to build the suspense.
  I am getting off on a tangent, but over all I can see why it's a classic horror movie. Were I trying to teach on emotional responses from movies I would use this as an example. I recommend to anyone looking for an old school horror movie.



Child's Play
Directed by Tom Holland
Released 1988
Scare Level: ðŸ˜±
Gore Level: ðŸ©¸ðŸ©¸ðŸ©¸
Over-All Rating: ðŸ’šðŸ’š
Review:
   This was a mixture of being funny and trying to be scary. I wouldn't say there was much of any jump scares to put you on the edge of your seat. It was also a really quick movie.
   The original Chuckie doll was much better than most remakes. He had the right level of creepy and love-able. The backstory was a little meh. I do appreciate any movie from the late 80's to early 90's, the blast from the past is appreciated.
  Theres not a lot to say. If you like scary movies this was meh, but it's got the nostalgia feel to it. I can't really recommend because I wasn't exactly impressed.







The Evil Dead
Directed by Sam Raimi & Fede Alvarez
Released 1981
Scare Level: ðŸ˜±ðŸ˜±ðŸ˜±
Gore Level: ðŸ©¸ðŸ©¸ðŸ©¸ðŸ©¸ðŸ©¸
Over-all Rating: ðŸ’šðŸ’šðŸ’šðŸ’š
Review:
   This is by far the most classic horror movie I believe to have watched to date. I'm glad I'm finishing my reviews with it.
   We immediately jump into the spook and horror. There is something messing with these kids on the way to the cabin, on the walk into the cabin, and immediately entering the cabin. The production of this movie I believe is the most impressive part. It's full of all sorts of elementary special affects that I think was an experiment in piloting methods for future horror movies. The audio though, leaves room for desire. 
   The actual plot doesn't have much for context other than they found a tape that released the spirits and demons into the house. Sometimes the most simple things are the best. 
  I would totally recommend this movie to anyone looking for a gore-filled scare. 

Comments

Popular Posts