Top 5 Wednesday- Works from my favorite author

Hello readers!
Today's top 5 topic is my top 5 favorite pieces of work from my favorite author. Last week I made a list of my favorite authors and in the top spot was Francesca Lia Block. 

1. Psyche in a Dress- I did a more in depth review on this book on a previous post about Block, but it's essentially a loose retelling of a few different ancient Greek characters. One story kind of blends into the next and reroutes back into previous lore, however I really enjoy the modern element that is added to each character. 

2. Necklace of Kisses- I wish I could tell you to just read Necklace of Kisses, but you need to read the Weetzie Bat series first to understand a little bit better the events in this book. As much sadness and magic is crammed into this book, I think it's the best installment in Weetzie's story. We see a lot of growth that she goes through in an older age, which speaks to any transition we may have in life. 

3. Witch Baby- Witch Baby is one of those characters that I find myself thinking about at random times. I'll be eating a burrito and think about her attending Berkley, or when I see something regarding a trend of tragic news stories I'll remember her wall of newspaper clippings she would dwell on. Characters that we carry like that are ones I think really resonated with us when we were introduced for one reason or another. 

4. The Rose & The Beast- Another series of retelllings, this one is broken down by chapter for fairy tales. There are some familiar Disney characters like Cinderella, but she has also included Thumbelina as well. Again, these are more modern versions of the same stories, but there is still just as much whimsical elements as you would expect from these stories. 

5. I Was a Teenage Fairy- This was a hard one to find a single book to talk about, because the reason why I like this book is the reason why I also enjoy several other books. Block is good about writing in trauma or abuse to her books in a way that makes it easy for others to identify. Specifically in I was a Teenage Fairy, we visit the topic of child molestation specifically in children working in show business. It's something I think we are all kind of aware of taking place, but Block puts it into stories that don't go into too much detail but also show you how the character copes with the trauma. 

Comments

Popular Posts