Top 5 Wednesday- Books that everyone else loves, but I don't

Hello readers!
Today's top 5 topic is books that everyone else loves, but I didn't.

1. The Mortal Instruments- I posted in my last review I did for this series, which was book 3 I believe, that I didn't care for any of the books. The story was fine, and had potential, however I had problems with the way Clare wrote. Her sentence structure irked me and honestly I had a big problem with Clary and Jace, both their relationship and their relationship with others. It wasn't worth it for me to finish the mortal instruments, though I do have the Infernal devices and I plan on reading them sometime in the future.

2. Fifty Shades of Grey- I understand not everyone loved these books, but there was enough popularity to warrant an entire movie series. I also wouldn't suggest someone not read the series, the books are small enough that its not a huge waste of time. Most of the characters I didn't have issue with, they were all fairly two dimensional aside from Christian who was the only fully fledged character. Anastasia I didn't really care for, though she was a good vehicle for us to get to know Christian.  

3. Cinder- I definitely can't say I hated this series, it was certainly entertaining and I made it through all the books except for the novellas. However, I found the books to be repetitive. Meet character, meet conflict, meet love interested, everyone is shipped. I also thought I was going to love Scarlet more than I did, especially after the development Cinder got in the first book. However Scarlet became really secondary, just like Cress did, throughout the series. They could have used a little more development rather than just pawns in a game.

4. Red Queen- This is another series I know not everyone loved. I personally really enjoyed the Red Queen, and the Glass Sword wasn't bad for parts either. However in hindsight, after reading all of the books aside from the novellas, it just went all down hill from there. Even though I enjoyed that Aveyard didn't fall into a predictable ending, there still wasn't a lot of satisfaction. I hate to compare them, but the last two books felt like a mixture of X-men and the Hunger Games.... but not thoroughly thought out. 

5. Looking for Alaska- John Green has been a pretty popular author in YA literature, however I read Looking for Alaska, and I don't understand why. It may be because for someone who has read similar books, but I started to get disappointed towards the end of the book realizing that there was limited time for something impactful to happen. I know that makes me sound really insensitive, but again, I felt like I read it before. I don't see myself reading much else from Green.

If you'd like to learn more about the Top 5 Wednesday Goodreads group, visit here.

Comments

Popular Posts