Favorite Book Characters- Females


1. Evangeline Samos- By the time I reached War Storm, I was in it only for Evangeline. I didn't care much for any of the other characters, especially after Maven died. She wasn't the most in depth character ever, but she has personality traits that I really appreciate. She's loyal, confident, and determined. Her relationship with Elane is also really cute. I think out of all the pairings we get in the books, it is the only really romantic one other than Shade and Farley. 

2. Katharine- Many times while reading the Three Dark Crowns series, I found myself waiting for Katharine's POV parts to come back because I love her subtle decent into madness. She starts off as the most underrated of the Queens, Mirabella clearly has her powers and Arsinoe is such a wild child she could kill someone on pure accident. As these girls get closer to the demise of two, I feel like Katharine really become desperate to live. We all know Arsinoe wants to live, she keeps trying to escape the island, but Katharine is here to make sure she is the last one standing and is willing to be ruthless to do so. As Mirabella is a wishy-washy character and Arsinoe just wants to flee, the determination Katharine has makes her my favorite. 

3. Hannah- After reading Memento, in the Illuminae files Hannah is just above Olivia as my favorite female character. What I love about Hannah is that she seems very well rounded. She has a small support system with her father and her boyfriend, she is disciplined with her martial arts but also allows herself to be creative with her drawings. I also like the balance her personality has, it's common for girls that are into martial arts or logical games like chess to come off one dimensional and cold. It blossoms more when she's with Nik, but Hannah also allows herself to have human emotions.I'm really sad that beyond Gemina her character is kind of pushed to the back.

4. Amren- When we met Amren in A Court of Mist & Fury, I automatically knew I'd love her character. She is fierce, she is confident, and she is very much self aware. Despite loving her so much, I really didn't agree with how her character was handled at the end of A Copurt of Wings & Ruin. I am someone who is very comfortable with characters dying, despite them being favorites,if it was in a satisfying way or their ending made sense to the over-all plot. That being said, I will be the asshole that says Amren should not have come back from the cauldron. We knew from when we first met her she served a purpose and there would be a time she would be gone forever. It was much more concrete than death, it was more of a release from her bond and duty within the realm she was in. To have her come back was utterly unnecessary because she wouldn't have added anything more to the story other than Rhys and Feyre having their friend. I feel like I could get really ranty here, but I'll stop talking about her death and move onto the other issue I have. Amren would have been the perfect representation of having an asexual character in this series. I don't believe every book should have someone from every piece of the LGBTQAI+ community, however it is nice when it is naturally inserted into a book. I really wish Varian and Amren being a couple wouldn't have been brought up to begin with, not only because I'm sick and wanted her to move on but also, aside from the very romance heavy friend group, it would have added such a layer to her already awesome character. She is fierce and confident, she doesn't need a love interest to add to that. 

5. Iseult- Out of our awesome duo in the Threadwitch series, Iseult is my favorite. As a fellow introvert, Safi intimidates me a little bit but I can also appreciate her differences to Iseult in their relationship. The parts of both Threadwitch and Windwitch that we got to see Iseult were by far my favorite. I feel like she has a really fleshed out story both with a motive to move her character arc forward and also history to her character. Her coping mechanisms and past with her family is somehow relatable. I really look forward to where her character goes in the rest of the series.



Everyone has their own opinion regarding characters, and that is totally okay. The characters and reasons why I like a character may be a character you find problematic or boring, and you are allowed to think that. However, please be respectful in any disagreement you have in the comments. 

Comments

Popular Posts