Top 5 Wednesday- Favorite Books I was Required to Read in School

Hello readers!
Today's top 5 topic is my favorite required reads from school.

1. A Modest Proposal: This story hands down was probably my favorite piece of literature I've ever read in general. I doubt I will read it again, but the message and what we were taught about it will stay with me forever so I'm not worried. I didn't necessarily enjoy it because it was gruesome or the obvious shock value, but more-so because it helped me discover more concretely than anything prior what my sense of humor was. I think I was one of the few students in my class that had giggled a little bit thinking how ludicrous this idea was.

2. The Odyssey: This is just a continuation of my love of Greek lore, however it was a pretty prominent moment in that timeline. We paired this reading with the NBC mini series, which is epic if you haven't seen it. 

3. The Outsiders: This book is pretty classic. The story of a bunch of teenage greasers getting into some serious trouble and how they get out of it. I absolutely loved all of the characters, specifically Johnny. 

4. Hatchet: This book goes way back for me to one of the first chapter books I remember being required to read. At the time, I was more interested in dragons and magic so to come into some non-fantasy was a bit meh at first. I ended up loving reading about his survival especially in elementary school when being stuck in a situation like that by yourself seems so much more daunting. 

5. Poe's Collection: I read quite a bit of Poe and some of the darker stories in Jr. High. Emily the strange was starting to become popular, My Chemical Romance just released Helena and I already started to have some interest in the more "emo" phase, though I never really went fully emo. Though I never really threw myself into his scene, I did quite enjoy the lunacy of some of his works. 

If you'd like to learn more about the Top 5 Wednesday Goodreads group, visit here.

Comments

Popular Posts