Top 5 Wednesday- Blind Books I loved

Hello readers!
Today's top 5 topic is going to be about books I went in blind for but ended up loving.
Up until very recently, thats how I did a lot of my book purchasing. I would browse the store and read the synopsis and just go for it.

1. Harry Potter by JK Rowling: I vividly remember buying my first copies of these books. Anytime we were near a book store, I'd ask my mom to stop in. We were on our way to my grandma's house for the summer and she was looking for stuff to incentive's my brother and I in being good. We made it through the first obstacle, whatever it was and we each got to pick one of the HP books to read. Not understanding the importance of reading these in a series and having no idea what they were about, I chose to start with number 4. Learned very quickly that I needed to switch with my brother and read the book he picked. I was most definitely hooked and couldn't stand that my mom was the obstacle between myself and the next book in the series, especially since I stupidly chose 4. 

2. Crank by Ellen Hopkins: I read crank in High school, when a lot of my reading was related to mental illness, body image, and drug abuse. In 2006, that was the jist of our YA demographic. I was excited because it was poetry prose, which of course was edge to a teenager, but then I realized I lived maybe 60 miles from the setting of this series and it became a little more relatable to me. I didn't expect to relate to the book as much as I did, but in hindsight I hung out with the druggy crowd as the only one who didn't do drugs or smoke cigarettes. I wore similar clothing but I was mostly interested in art and whatever project I was working on for my next art class. I sound so much more cliche than I remember being.

3. The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown: I know I read this before the movie came out, and I may have picked it up originally because of the movie coming out. Again, wondering book stores and picking random things up was my favorite form of shopping, and DaVinci spiked my art class nerd interest. It was the most adult book I remember reading at the time and I completely devoured it. I would bring it with me anywhere and just try to figure out what would happen next. I remember thinking thrillers were my new genre taste and then getting overly ambitious. 

4. The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan: I picked up these books 100% not expecting to actually read them. I know, it sounds insane, however I had it in my head that I would work now on getting a really awesome collection of books for my future offspring to one day be able to pick from to read. It's a toxic mindset, that I've thankfully curbed a bit. I don't remember why I ultimately picked it up, it might have been because I originally got TLT on kindle for free and figure why not at least see what it was about. As I'm sure anyone whos seen any of my other posts, I obviously loved the series.

5. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen: Although I can't decide now if I love this book, when I originally read it I definitely did. My senior year of High school, one of the English teachers started a book club that lead nowhere. This was our one and only pick for the year and I remember pacing myself to match the meetings but once I realized they were going nowhere I just finished the book. I was originally super excited for the movie, which I think was decent. However there was some missing circus history for me that made me like the book a bit more. 

If you'd like to learn more about the Top 5 Wednesday Goodreads group, visit here.


Comments

Popular Posts