Monthly Wrap Up- May

Hello readers!

Today's post is a monthly wrap up post. I didn't get much, if any reading done this month, however I did manage to add a few books to my collection.

These first two books I picked up when I traded a stack of pregnancy books my sister in law gifted me. Most of them were for-dad books that I know my husband wouldn't read.


I have been a huge Hunter S. Thompson fan for years, however I've never read any of his material. I've seen this movie, and Gonzo, which initiated my love for the author. There is just something about how sure, despite how manic the man was that was interesting to read about. In my opinion, he is certainly a legendary man.


Neil Gaiman is an author that I've been wanting to explore his writings. I was originally going to start with Norse Mythology, however a coworker of mine kept suggesting Good Omens instead. I managed to find a paperback copy really cheap. I know that there is a series out on Amazon Prime with some amazing actors involved.


The Kindle edition of this book was on super sale for $1.99, so despite not planning on picking it up soon, I wanted to make sure to get a copy. I've been feeling weirdly drawn to reading high fantasy books that span over a million pages despite having no motivation to actually read. I think the ending of Game of Thrones really screwed with my fantasy needs. 


This was another Kindle edition for $1.99. This is on my TBR for this year, so I was excited to get a copy for so cheap. The dystopia elements I've gotten from reviews of this book is another theme I've been super drawn to lately. 


As far as TV shows or movies I've been consuming lately, there has been a few.


Ethan likes to throw on random series that don't take much attention sometimes when we're chilling at home, so he found this one on Netflix. This show however I have such mixed emotions about. First off, if you are looking for any kind of semblance of closure for characters, don't fucking bother. Each episode rotates through these people who live in Chicago and somehow are slightly entwined with each other. There are some repeat characters, like a married couple exploring having an open relationship, however there are some people we only see once, like the neighborhood vigilantly mob looking to find their package thief. Depending on which episode catches your attention, you may just be as annoyed as I was. I do like the diversity of the cast and characters though.


Most of us have watched the final season, and at this point, probably the documentary that follows. I've been really wanting to do a recap for each season of thrones, to later match with reviews of each of the books that I plan to read once we at least get the Winds of Winter. I've been following r/freefolk very heavily since the airing of the final season and have had a lot of theories and shared disappointments. 
Over-all, I can't say I don't agree with all of the character arcs. There are a few characters that didn't get a proper ending and that is what annoys me the most. It was definitely a rushed season, both 7 and 8 and I'm really interested to see how the books differ from the show because I honestly believe they will. The rest of my opinions I will leave for a different post.

That is my monthly wrap up. Let me know how May went for you guys in the comments. 




Comments

Popular Posts