Top 5 Wednesday: Reads I though I'd hate but ended up loving.

Hello readers!
Today's top 5 topic is books I thought I'd hate, but ended up loving.

1. Three Dark Crowns- I read the synopsis of this book while just getting back into reading for the first time in a while. The idea of it was interesting, however I was afraid I wasn't going to find something that peaked my interest the way ACOTAR did. Although this isn't my favorite book in the world, I'm so glad I've dove into this series. The character dynamic and plot is super interesting and although I find myself a little frustrated at the shift in character POV, I am still very curious where the story is going and what happens to these characters.

2. The Night Circus- Despite hearing nothing but good things about this book, the idea of a circus had me 100% rolling my eyes and pretty sure I wouldn't love it. However, the writing and characters really draw you in and almost make you forget that you know what a circus is. It beautifully painted an entire experience and the fact that it's a stand-alone adds to the mystery around the circus.

3. Truthwitch- I put this on my January TBR because I wasn't sure if I was going to like it but I wanted to dive into the series regardless. It was a pleasant surprise meeting all these characters that are all so well rounded. Even my least favorite character is pleasant. By the end of the book I was so invested I immediately dove into book 2.

4. Carrie- I don't know why I didn't think I'd like this book and I don't know why I really do.- Synopsis of my experience with King's writing so far. I think a big part of the intrigue was that it read a lot like a classic horror film, and although I am aware it is a movie, I don't think I'll watch it after reading the book. There is just a heart-stopping factor that is present in older media that I don't think we've seen in a long time that I felt while reading Carrie.

5. The Glass Castle- I didn't expect to like this book because it was a memoir and I thought it was a completely different book. However, the life experiences that Jeannette goes through paint a vivid portrait of her life. What I found the most intriguing is the relationships within their family. Despite her father clearly being a little off his rocker, Jeannette's mother never left and was loyal to her father. How these experiences affected the children was also interesting because although you may not realize it, children are extremely observant of behavior. I still hold pieces of this book with me to this day and reflect on it regularly. 

For those of you not familiar with Top 5 Wednesday, or would like to participate, it is a Goodreads group. We post all of our lists every week to review with each other and support conversations.

Comments

  1. "I still hold pieces of this book"--I totally agree with all you say about The Glass Castle. I haven't seen the movie--the book was too vivid to need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie either and I probably wont. I wish I had annotated the pieces that stuck with me the most in my first read.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts