Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Science Fiction & Fantasy Creatures

Hello readers!

Today's Top 5 Topic is favorite science fiction & fantasy creatures.
This is a topic I think a lot of us can find fun in because fantasy is filled with so many mythical and unfamiliar creatures.

1. Bryaxis from ACOWAR- For a creature we get a small amount of screen time with and doesn't have much of a physical description, theres something so loving about Bryaxis. Despite being a monster that triggers fear in the hearts of anyone who comes close, the simplicity in it's needs and general outlook of life is so sweet and endearing. That despite living in a dark hole in a library with no company, it truly just wants to see the starts and hear the stories of the outside world.
2. The Boggart from Harry Potter- I believe what I love most about the Boggart is what we experience in Lupin's lesson in Harry's 3rd year. Most people would meet a boggart would just be afraid of it because it's purpose is to transform into your biggest fear. However Lupin utilizes the boggart to teach you how to identify and overcome your fears.
3. AIDAN from Illuminae- Although AIDAN isn't necessarily a creature, he's not exactly human either. By far he is one of my favorite characters in this series, specifically when we meet him in Illuminae. The relationship between him and Kady is so complex and I am a huge sucker for morally grey characters.  
4. The Centaurs from Percy Jackson- I don't know why, but I've always had this picture of centaurs being noble creatures. So to have them written in as party animals was hilarious and also unexpected. 
5. Chimeras from Alchemists of Loom- I believe we all have an idea of what a chimera is, however Elise completely shatters and reconstructs the definition of chimera in the Loom series. Chimeras are 'humans' or fenthri that are [hysically enhanced with dragon parts. Dragons are known to have superior physical attributes, like hearing or eyesight. Naturally, chimeras are also considered a bit of an abomination and trading dragon parts is something done on the black market. 


For those of you not familiar with Top 5 Wednesday, or would like to participate, it is a Goodreads group. We post all of our lists every week to review with each other and support conversations.

Comments

  1. I totally agree about Boggarts, such a clever creature and Lupin uses it so well! I was going to have it as one of my own top five but tried to only have one creature from the HP series and Thestrals won out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thestrals are also a great creature! I think if I had to chose a method of flying I'd pick them over broomsticks.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts