Top 5 Wednesday Topic: Favorite Book Couples

Hello readers!
Today's Top 5 Wednesday topic is the first fictional couples you ever got butterflies over, or couples you used to be really into when you were younger.
This topic is pretty hard for me to think of many, mostly because I don't remember being that invested in characters romantic relationships when reading. I also had a pretty significant reading gap, so some of these couples are already well talked about.

1. Vivian & Gabriel from Blood & Chocolate: A little bit of a spoiler for those who haven't read this book yet. I've made it very obvious I don't like Aiden, who is our main love interest through the most of this story. Rafe was a posibility for like a second but it wasn't until the end, when Annette finally put Gabriel in that light of a love interest did I realize that this was my OTP. Scraping the age gap, their relationship has a really great underlining message that I carried more than I ever expected to into life. Vivian always knew she was beautiful, but Gabriel entering her life taught her self-value. Your partner should accept you, it is a partnership so you are equals, and that no matter what you are or how others make you feel you are beautiful.

2. Harry & Cho from Harry Potter: Before people start pointing out how bitchy Cho is, I was team Harry/Cho up until she betrayed them. The awkwardness of Harry is what made me truly swoon. My pre-teen was all about those awkward moments and Cho being a bit stand-offish really stirred that pot. I'm slowly re-reading it as an adult and I find some of those moments a little more cringe-y now.

3. Bella & Edward from Twilight: For the record, I don't care about this book. I did like it when I originally read it, but by book 4 there were too many WTF's for me to completely hop on that bandwagon. Book one, I really geeked over Edward and Bella. Book two I was kind of team Jacob but it wasn't because I actually liked Jacob but rather the shitty way Edward left and preferring werewolves. Book three I was over the whole thing and book four I had too many wtf's to really hop onto the band wagon.

4. Harry & Ginny from Harry Potter: I know I just got done talking about Harry and Cho, however the aftermath of their demise I realized the relationship was kind of doomed from the start. It was one sided, with Harry being more authentic with his interest in Cho. Insert the solid character of Ginny, who is so level headed and has no time for your shit. Harry & Ginny made so much sense. There was the previous fan-girling in book one, she knows Harry as a person rather than a legend/prophecy. She's also a badass character in general.  Excuse me while I fan girl over book Ginny.

5. Feyre & Tamlin from ACOTAR:  I am going to include Feyre & Tamlin because I was technically two years younger when I originally read it, and I was far more naive to what was to come. I originally liked Feyre & Tamlin. I do agree that Tamlin is an asshole, but I don't spike him to a cross to burn like so many others. What I originally liked about Tamlin and Feyre's relationship is that Tamlin understood a semblance of boundaries and also had glimpses of being nurturing. For example, he didn't force himself on Feyre and try to woo her immediately. He knew just like everyone else knew that Feyre was his salvation if he could make her fall in love with him and instead of using her as the tool she presented herself as, he let her go because he thought it was wrong to force someone innocent to the situation into that kind of pressure. He let her go despite loving her and didn't tell her so she wouldn't have the nagging resentment of walking away from him and the secret baggage he kept in a castle. Tamlin is a complex character in so many ways, both from his environment and the nurturing he received growing up and I think people forget his story because it's easy to hate him.


That's my list for this week. Let me know your favorite couples below!


For those of you not familiar with Top 5 Wednesday, or would like to participate, it is a Goodreads group that can be found here. We post all of our lists every week to review with each other and support conversations.


Comments

Popular Posts