Top 5 Wednesday: Freebie Topic- Book Titles

Hello readers!
Today's assigned top 5 topic was a freebie to chose what we'd like to talk about and I chose book titles.
Just a note, I absolutely dislike titles that are just one word, like 'Hoot' or 'Brisingr'. It doesn't add anything to the story and it's not very clever.
  1. Three Dark Crowns Series by Kendare Blake: What I like the most about the titles of these books is it gives you an idea of the story and once you get into the story, the title of the next one leaves you in a state of curiosity. We started with 3, then we came down to 1, now we're back at 2? What happened to these characters!?
  2. Necklace of Kisses by Fransesca Lia Block: This title has a very personal reason why I love it, its whimsical but also as you read through the story you realize where the title comes from. Oh, every time Weetzie is kissed she gets a jewel that she turns into a necklace after the main drama has finished. How lovely.
  3. They Both Die At The End by Adam Silvera: Although I don't read much contemporary, I do appreciate the titles that the genre tends to have. Such as They Both Die At The End, which makes a new reader pick up the book and think "But.... why?" Another one similar is Christina Riccio's book Again, But Better. Do what again? Why? 
  4. The Conqueror's Saga by Kiersten White: I have yet to read these books, but I love how the entire series sums up to a little poem or prayer. " And I Darken, Now I Rise, Bright We Burn." It's clever and to me as the reader, I believe it should encompass the series as a whole into a very short recap of the tone of the story.
  5. Harry Potter & ..., Percy Jackson & ..., ... Mara Dyer: Typically I hate writing out long titles, especially with a redundancy like "A Court of", however I do like titles that have our main characters name and then what this specific installment would be about. It's more common in Middle Grade, but I think it outlines the story already in the title so you get an idea of what to expect as you read through it. Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire is this kid named Harry who obtains or interacts with a Goblet of Fire, got it but how or why?  

This is my list for the last Wednesday in January. Let me know what you thought in the comments below or some of your favorite titles.

Comments

Popular Posts