Book Review: Carrie

Carrie by Stephen King
❤❤❤❤❤
Title: Carrie
Author: Stephen King
Original Publishing: 1974 by Gallery Books
Format: Physical Book
Genre:Fiction, Horror, Thriller

Plot: 
Characters: 
World Building: 

Flow: 

Synopsis:

Carrie knew she should not use the terrifying power she possessed... But one night at her senior prom, Carrie was scorned and humiliated just one time too many, and in a fit of uncontrollable fury she turned her clandestine game into a weapon of horror and destruction...

Review*:

  This is my first Stephen King novel that I've finished. I've mentioned before I started the Darktower: The Gunslinger via audiobook and decided that might not be the best format. I'm really glad I waited and picked up Carrie instead. I really enjoyed the book however I found it hard to really collect what I liked about it for a review. 
   The format of this book was perfect. It's written in a collection of text of the events that occurred in the book. It flips between snips from books and actual events that add backstory, sometimes stuff overlaps which I didn't find redundant. We get to see different perspectives as well, totally adding to the build of the book. 
    Sue I liked a lot. Although she participated in the initial hazing of Carrie, she also learned from her mistakes and tried to make a difference. Sue was able to find kindness and although the aftermath was destruction, she initially had good intentions of having her boyfriend ask Carrie to prom. It makes Tommy's death more heartbreaking because even though he did it for Sue, we know that he has a good heart. 
    Chris, who is our main villain, has this wavering morality through the book. We know that she's used to getting her way and her parents enable her terrible behavior towards others. Chris has a weird sense of value for herself, she likes to put herself on a pedestal but understands that the people she attracts are beneath her. The relationship she has with Billy is another game, but she comes to realize it is a much more dangerous game than she normally plays. Although prior to seeing Chris pull the string she starts to second guess her decisions in trusting Tommy and executing this plan. For a second you wondering, with Chris expressing her feelings towards Tommy if she's going to back out of this prank, but by actually pulling the string that tips the buckets she solidifies herself as a villain. 
  In general, this book is a great teaching tool as well. I found myself reflecting on a lot of lessons I remember being over in High School English class that were apparent in King's writing. The multiple people and how they play into Carrie's rage and the town's demise teaches us about how villains aren't always black and white. I almost wanted to email my old teacher and reflect on the book with her because it took me back to those lessons and how it has a clear climax and how our protagonist isn't always the main character, or isn't always obviously good. 
  All in all it makes me excited to read more of King's work in the future. I can't quite say I "see the hype" because this is only my first book and it's a fairly older one.


Whats your favorite Stephen King novels? I'm hoping to burn through some fantasy to get myself back out of a reading slump but I'm totally looking for recommendations. Let me know below!





*There may be spoilers in this section of the review. If you do not wish to be spoiled, please stop reading.

Comments

Popular Posts