Top 5 Wednesday- Favorite Monsters

Hello readers!
Today's topic is Favorite Monsters, which can technically be broadened into mythical creatures.


Wraith Kings from Lord of The Rings
1. Wraith- I think wraiths are fairly under-estimated in literature. I know when an author compares a character to a wraith, I automatically understand the grace and sheer terror that's supposed to be associated with a character like that. But what defines a wraith? From what we've seen in media, they're the undead. Whether they are human-like or ghost like depends on what piece of work you find them in. The Scottish use wraith in conjunction with "ghost" or "spirit", however they are considered more malevolent. My personal favorite visual of a wraith are the Kings in Lord of the Rings. Speaking specifically of the movie, they fall between ghost and having a tangible form. 


Bunworth Banshee, "Fairy Legends and Traditions of the South of Ireland", by Thomas Crofton Croker, 1825

2. Banshee- These are another creature in english lore that are similar to the wraith, but are not always considered evil. According to legend there are two different types of banshee's. The malevolent kind that use their skills to maim their victims, and non-malevolent, who warned people when death was coming by screeching. 

Underworld: Rise of The Lycans

3. Werewolves- In the eternal argument of Werewolves vs. Vampires, the former will always be my favorite. This preference dates all the way back before Twilight and the argument of Edward vs. Jacob. I think part of it is that I find the lore behind them more appealing, especially when it is reflected the way Vivianne from Blood & Chocolate believes her transformation is a gift from the moon. The Underworld franchise has to be my favorite story of Vampire vs. Werewolves. In this movie, I actually love Vampires, specifically Selene. They marry the two creatures together as enemies, which is typical, but they also allow each to have a story that goes back for centuries. 

Call of Duty WWII: Nazi Zombies

4. Zombies- Zombies came out as a super popular 'theme' in pop culture right around the time I graduated Highschool. Nazi zombies had just come out, Left 4 Dead was pretty popular, and there were a few pieces of literature that were also published about zombies that year. With that boom, I happened to develop a love of killing zombies on my X-Box. I still play Left 4 Dead on steam, so if any of you want to join me: zomboidgirl. Over-all, I think zombies are one of the most fearsome monsters in the business, simply because there are so many adaptations of zombies occurring in real life.  

There are many myths about what the Chupacabra looks like, however Google provides us this image of a Texas group hunting the beast.

5. Chupacabra- I'm sure there are people out there that 100% believe this beast is real. They fall into the same plane as Big Foot believers, Flat-earthers, and people who tell themselves that audio books don't count. The sheer pointless-ness of this and other creatures that fall within the same category are why I included it in this list. We don't know if it's real and aside from some poor goats, it doesn't do much harm.

That's my list guys. What are some of your favorite monsters?

Comments

Popular Posts