Top 5 Wednesday- Problematic Favorite Characters

Today's Top 5 Wednesdays Topic is:
A Freebie! So I picked Problematic Favorite Characters.
Characters you don't want to love, but you can't help liking.

1. Tamlin from ACOTAR- I have a hard time saying I hate Tamlin as a character. I understand he is a very controlling and abusive person, that's why he's on this list. However there is a small part of me that wants to see his backstory to understand more about him. I'm not trying to make excuses for what he's done to others, but there has to be a reason as to why he is so angry and controlling. Like if it stems from his mother dying, or experiences with his siblings, etc. I'd be EXTREMELY interested (hint hint Sarah) to get a novella of the histories of each High Lord. It doesn't have to be extremely in depth, but something to get to know their characters more.

2. Maven from Red Queen- I know I've done a review on this series, and I know people don't care for it because of how trashy and/or how it's written but bad boys are my favorite. The dark, the broody, the misunderstood. 😍 Maven is mentally abusive and maybe downright crazy, but that adds to his appeal for me. Theres no finding excuses or trying to make him human, he's just Maven.

3. Joseph from Three Dark Crowns- Ugh. I don't even want to talk about this kid because that's how much I don't like him. I guess I'm kind of cheating because he's not even a favorite character. I initially liked him and was happy to see Jules and him together after his exile but once he started messing around with Mirabella and it started to get really soap-opera which I'm not into. Jules deserves so much better than that.

4. Arobynn from Throne of Glass- The Throne of Glass series wouldn't be interesting without Arobynn. This is probably why I thought books 2 & 3 were a little boring. Despite him being a terrible person for so many different reasons, I loved his character. I don't often find myself pausing everything while listening to audiobooks but during the scene where Arobynn tried taking control of Celaena. I think most of what made me love that part of the book was that it really showed so much of Arobynn's shady character. The ending of Assassins Blade was also a great example of how smarmy he is. Ugh, I forgot about all the shit he did.

5. Aiden from Blood & Chocolate- So Aiden isn't necessarily a character who has problematic traits; like being abusive or manipulative, etc. He's a character that I always really like at first and then I remember how much I dislike him. In the book he plays Vivian's love interest however he finds out about her special abilities and drops her like a sack of hot garbage. To be fair, Vivian did put a lot of trust into that dumpster, but then Aidan is immediately with a rebound chick. Fortunately, Vivian finally comes to her senses by the end of the book. Overall I do like Aiden, though I find his behavior post romantic transformation is problematic.



Do you guys love problematic characters? What are some traits that you identify with problematic characters? Let me know below!

Comments

Popular Posts