Tome Topple Read-a-thon Recap


Hello readers!

Today I am doing a recap post of the Tome Topple read-a-thon.
I didn't do one prior to participating because I only chose two books to go into this and I wanted to do a review on the books I did read. 

The Tome Topple read-a-thon started on June 29th and ended on July 12th. I found this challenge from Sam at Thoughts on Tomes, she directed me to the Goodreads group for rules, challenges, and to find a buddy to read with. The point of the read-a-thon is to motivate us to read those big books over 500 pages that sit, intimidating us on our bookshelves. 
 The challenges were as follows:
  • Read more than 1 book
  • Read a graphic novel
  • A book that is part of a series
  • Buddy read
  • Read an adult book
I happened to start this challenge with just two books in mind, but open to either audio-books or finding a graphic novel to read. This is a list of what I did end up reading.

   I spent most of the read-a-thon on this book. I started it a few days in and the pacing made it easy to power through alot of it. I did not finish it prior to the Read-a-thon ending but I anticipate finishing it prior to the end of the month. Right now I'm on page 509 out of 772, shortly after the fire at the University.
  The actual story was fairly good, our main character is recalling his life from childhood and into adult hood. I never felt much of an emotional connection to Kvothe and at one point I started to become fairly annoyed with him. Since I haven't finished the novel I can't comment on how I feel about him as a character. 
   Depending on my feelings on the book, I plan on doing a separate review for this book or series. Right now I'm not impressed or aggravated enough to have a cohesive review.
   






  This book I started, got about 103 pages in and that's about as far as I got for the read-a-thon. I started this before Name of The Wind, however that book ended up taking over my spare reading time throughout the two weeks. I tried to listen to an audio-book I found on Youtube but the narrator was TERRIBLE and I couldn't get into the story at all.
  I do plan on continuing and I liked the portion of the story I had completed. I did find myself skimming over sections of the pages however either un-interested or getting that terrible distracted-reading syndrome.








   I finished Deadpool pretty fast, I enjoyed the comic and I genuinely chuckled. As much as I love the movies, they differ from the comics. In the movies, Ryan makes Deadpool come off as somebody who's always had the shit end of the stick in life and it's made him this hard, sarcastic guy. In the comics Deadpool comes off more as mentally not all there, specifically with the two voices in his head.
    I've always been a HUGE fan of comic book art so the visuals in this were up my alley. Overall I would recommend to anyone looking for a collection of comics about Deadpool.
   The one thing I found a little annoying is that in the movie and from what I've been told by people who've followed the comics is that Deadpool is in the X-Men universe of Marvel. In this series he's with the Avengers. As someone who prefers the X-Men, it's a little annoying. The bright side is the "Avengers" in the stories here aren't our typical heroes. Black Widow is mentioned but it's not Natasha.




Did any of you participate? How did your Tome Topple go? Did you finish anything or get some of your gnarly reads out of the way? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

Popular Posts