Book Review- Everything, Everything


Hello readers! Today we're doing a contemporary read because I've been in a reading slump. I didn't really ever see myself reading this book, but it was available on Overdrive and the movie was on HBOGo so I figured, why not broaden my horizons. Everyone needs a feel good moment.
This review will actually be for both the book and the movie. I finished the book in one day through Audio, then after I came home I watched the movie.
Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon


Title: Everything, Everything
Author: Nicola Yoon
Published: 2015
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Genre: Fiction, YA, Contemporary

Plot: 
Characters: 
World Building: 
Flow: 

Synopsis:

   My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

   But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

   Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

Review*:

   To give you a very short answer, this is the more serious version of Bubble Boy. Maddy meets the boy next door and starts to fall for him, and their relationship is so cute. I sometimes found myself forgetting that Maddy was 18 and not younger either from the narrator or just her child-like curiosity. Olly's love for Maddy was so pure, their impromptu Hawaii trip was adorable. The entire whirlwind of them running away came off a little cliche, but by the time they made it to the islands it became more of a romantic getaway. 
    I also really loved Carla and I was sad when Maddy's mom let her go so suddenly. In hindsight, the quick dismissal made more sense, Dr. Whittier was trying to protect her lie.
    Despite Maddy's mom just trying to protect her, it was really disappointing to find that she was lying about her daughter having SCID. Partly because it was a predictable conclusion to Maddy's predicament, but also because it was an extremely selfish act to keep her ignorant and lie to her about something so huge.I have a hard time finding sympathy for someone willing to do that kind of damage, knowing that eventually it would come up that there is nothing wrong with Maddy regardless of the psychological stress the parent went through.
   In the book, as Maddy is leaving to be with Olly, Pauline (her mom) asks her when Maddy thinks she comes back home. Maddy simply tells her she doesn't know if she consider the house and her mother home anymore. Despite how fucked up her moms lie was, I felt this was a bit over-dramatic. I would have liked for her to say a bit more to her mom as she was leaving. I completely understand and think Maddy is validated in her anger, I just think it could have been written a little better.
   The movie followed the book pretty closely, though I don't think you could wander too far off from the original writing. I would have liked a bit more of the story about Maddy's dad since that is part of why Pauline chose to protect her daughter. The visuals they used for Maddy and Olly's conversations I thought was really cute, though I don't know if they would have translated as well if you hadn't previously read the book. The actors they chose for each part were great aswell.
   Overall, I would suggest this book if someone is looking for a light read. It wasn't gut wrenching or overly emotional but it still had depth to it. Amanda Stenberg is a beautiful actress and I look forward to seeing her in more movies.



* There may be spoilers in this section of the review. If you do not wish to be spoiled, please stop reading.

Comments

Popular Posts