Monthly Wrap up- June

Hello readers!
June has been a super sad reading month for me! I've been trying to combat the rush of summer, slipping into a reading slump, and also prepping for all of the amazing Read-a-thons coming up.
I am hoping to participate in the Tomes Topples in June/July and in the massive tbr that comes with the N.E.W.T.s Magical read a thon. There will be a blog post in the next few weeks on my picks for the N.E.W.Ts and follow me on Twitter to keep up on the Tomes Topples progress.


Books



ACOFAS by Sarah J. Maas

   I've already posted a review on this book, but to add my input here; I actually enjoyed this novella. I wish it came out later in the year, since it's more of a Christmas special, but at the same time I'm glad to be with these characters again. 
  There are some holes in this story, I can agree however I think some people expected too much from this book in particular. It's short, there is not much of a plot. Some of the characters act out of their typical behavior and others felt like drag along characters that didn't have much narrative. 
   I am curious about the future of this universe and will pick up the next story in the series.







Obsidio by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

   I've also done a more in-depth review about this series as well.
   In short, I didn't love Obsidio as much as the previous two books in this series. However it was a great ending leaving you feeling completely satisfied.
   We see our favorite rag-tag bunch of survivors now on a new ship navigating the over-flow of passengers, complications of bodies vs. resources, and how to get back to the portal to survival before the universe as they know it is obliterated. 
  There are some new characters introduced, such as Asha and Rhys. What I think helped love the first two books so much was really getting attached to the main characters, with this duo I don't feel the concern for their general well-being that I did with Hanna/Nik and Kady/Ezra.
  I love seeing old AIDAN come back with his questionable morality. Some of the villans were likable, like Oshiko. Overall great story. I hope this series gets decent directors and becomes a movie.



Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire

   I've been using the Wayward Children's series as kind of a crutch to help me out of this slow period. I listen to them on audio books and they're so easy to follow along with that they're enjoyable. 
  I absolutely love the organized chaos that I believe sums up the general plot of these books. You have these kids that seem so mature for their ages that are talking about going to a candy land world, or a place where you can dance with skeletons. The mixture of logic and nonsence makes this entire series an 








Cruel Crown Novellas by Victoria Aveyard





I didn't expect to pick up this book or really read it. However I was at a book sale and found it for $3 and figured hey, I should pick it up since it's such a quick read. I'm glad I did because I enjoyed getting Coriane's story. After reading Red Queen I had hoped we'd get to see some of Coriane and Queen Song definitely fullfilled her part of the story. The only issue I had with the Queen Song Novella was the ending, I feel like it was super vague and it could have been written with more menace.
As far as Steel Scars, I don't have strong opinions on Farley so I didn't care as much. Keep in mind that I'm reading this after finishing Kings Cage.









Book Haul


Godsgrave by Jay Kristoff







I picked up the Barnes & Noble exclusive copy of Godsgrave. I'm planning on reading this book in the fall to bridge the gap between when I read Nevernight and the release of Darkdawn. 










War Storm by Victoria Aveyard





I'm looking forward to the closure of this series. I plan on reading this in April for the N.E.W.T.s read-a-thon. For anyone interested in my review, I did do an entire review on the entire series not that long ago.













The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo
I've listened to Six of Crows and I intend on picking up a physical copy and completing that series. However for some reason I decided I HAD to have this series. I'm definitely excited to learn more about the Grisha-verse and from what I've heard this series goes more in depth than SoC. I will hopefully get to this before the end of the year.





And that is it for the month of June! I didn't read much but I did pick up a few books that I'm excited for.
Let me know how your June went below!

Comments

Popular Posts