Book Series Review- Illuminae Files


I am so excited to be talking about this series!


Look at how beautiful they are!
I picked up Illuminae and Gemina on Amazon when they had a Kinde sale at the beginning of the year. I wasn't super interested since SciFi isn't my favorite subject but I am so glad I decided to make that $3 plunge and pick these up because this series is fantastic.
I've never previously read anything by either of these authors, so this was the first time I got to experience the creativity of Jay and Amie. After finishing Illuminae I knew I needed to read Nevernight and man am I glad I started that series aswell. Kristoff has a very interesting way of writing that I totally love.



Onto the review!
For anyone who hasn't read the books, the entire series is in a completely unique format of compiled documents, chat records, pictures, diagrams. That being said, I would not advise reading the Kindle version of this unless you have a large enough tablet. The pictures do not zoom which is the most annoying part when you want to look at the pictures like the one above. 
Be warned, this series is hard to review without including some spoilers. 



Illuminae*

Plot: 
Characters: 
World Building: 
Flow: 
   This book is my favorite of the series. At first, I didn't think I'd be able to get into it with the interviews with Kady and Ezra but once the setting was established it was 100% couldn't put down. I read this using my Kindle App on my phone because my actual Kindle was broken and it was murder on my eyes. Please don't read this on your phone. 
   The plot twists at the end of this are so good. Even though I knew there was a second book in the series, I had enough spoilers to know that Kady and Ezra weren't the main characters so I really wasn't sure if she'd survive. I think the best part was AIDAN, his reflection on morality was great.



Gemina*

Plot: 
Characters: 
World Building: 
Flow: 
  Once I finished Illuminae, I was worried that Gemina wouldn't be nearly as good. I was so wrong. Gemina is so good in so many ways. Hanna is my favorite character in the entire series, AIDAN is second because I love some maniacal heros. Again, the beginning was slow for me but after Hanna's father is murdered it picked up so fast. 
  I got lost in the split reality technical speak, mostly because I was so into it I had to know what happened next. Despite me not really paying attention, it was explained pretty simply enough that it wasn't too far over your head to understand.



Obsidio*

Plot: 
Characters: 
World Building: 
Flow: 
   So, remember when I had that concern about the next book not being as good as the previous? Samsies, and I actually put Obsidio off a little longer than Gemina because I didn't want the series to end.
   This book out of the three didn't have as much of the writing that I loved in the previous two books, and I didn't get the attachment to the characters aside from Oshiko who was a minor character that was more than likely killed. 
Aside from that, this book was the perfect ending to the series. You got the closure needed and justice was served.










Over All Recap


  The only cons I can see to this story is the slow build-up at the beginning of the books. It seems like your trudging a little bit through some mud but sure as shit, there's the quicksand and next thing you know you've finished it. Obsidio was the worst in this experience because I never felt that hook that really drew me in and made me really love it. I couldn't connect with Asha and Rhys; however I loved Oshiko and the story about her father. 
  There are a lot of twists to the story, especially in Illuminae. It sets you up for the remaining two books in the series. The entire construction of the novels, not just the format of the writing was really well put together. You had your build up, however slow I thought it was, your climax and great endings that left you satisfied. 
  If you have not picked up the Illuminae files, I have no idea whats wrong with you. They are great reads with unfortunately all cussing blocked out. Jay and Amie did a great job together and if there was ever a spin off series I would totally read it.


Thanks for making it this far readers! Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.



* There may be spoilers in this section of the review. If you do not wish to be spoiled, please stop reading.

Comments

Popular Posts