Book Review- Three Dark Crowns

⤔πŸ”ΌπŸ”»πŸ”Ό⬹

 Today's review is for Three Dark Crowns, a new series I am super excited to start reading and I know has been gaining popularity on Youtube recently. I'll be doing my normal review, but at the end there will be a link and my results on the Epic Read's quiz on which TDC queen you should support.

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake


Title: Three Dark Crowns
Author: Kendare Blake
Published: 2016
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Fiction

Plot: 
Characters: 
World Building: 
Flow: 

Synopsis

In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born—three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.

But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose…it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins.

The last queen standing gets the crown.



Review *

  First of all, I went into this series hearing not-so-great reviews about the first book. I can agree with some of the reviews of the story being choppy because I did have a hard time with the first half of the book. A lot of it was story building though, and since it is in a multi-POV it took longer than normal to start out to story. 
  Katharine immediately was my favorite. As a Slytherine, I felt I was most excited for her dark and morbid powers. Throughout the story she definitely was a consistent character, I really like her dynamic with Pietyr and I'm curious how there relationship forms. Natalia was also the only mentor I really cared for, although she was cold and cunning I still felt a maternal character from her. 
  The one character I felt we got the most of in this story was Arsinoe. I can't say I 100% love Arsinoe or 100% dislike her, I do respect her spunk. She made you feel pity for her based on so many things; her lack of a skill shining through, being over-looked because of Jules, feeling like she had to rely on dark magic to save her friends. She came off as naive, sometimes dense but so lovable at the same time. 
  Mirabella I think is my least favorite of the queens. Though her entourage I think is really what makes Mirabella a hard character to like, it definitely bleeds into her character. She comes off as the typical royalty that is really oblivious to the problems around her.
  As many other reviews has stated, it does take a good three quarters of the book for the story to start to take off. Along with story building and multi-POV, we have to add in the love story between Jules and Joseph. I really couldn't care less about the pair and I can't stand Joseph as a character. Their relationship actually frustrates me because it takes away from how amazing Jules is.
  As we get closer to the beginning of the ascension year and the competition of the sisters for the crown some things feel a little thrown together. The suitors were stupid and from this part of the story it seemed unnecessary. Arsinoe's plan to have Jules control a bear to demonstrate her power was super reckless and stupid. 
 And then boom! we're at the end with the BEST cliffhangers possible. Katharine had gone missing and came back looking for vengeance. Arsinoe discovering her real power. I can't remember what Mirabella did because quite honestly I was over her at that point.
  By the end of the book you reflect back and think man, some of those hard to get through parts were worth it. It really built you up to have specific feelings for each character in a unique way. I'm super excited to get my hands on book two!

You can pick up Three Dark Crowns at any book retailer, I've heard that the audiobook helps with the dry writing at the beginning.

Now, despite having my own feelings for each queen, I decided to see which one I should support thanks to Epic Reads and their Which Three Dark Crowns Queen Should I Support quiz.
 I did the quiz twice to be sure, and man I wasn't expecting my results at all. So without further ado, I got...

Who did you get to support for the race to the crown? Post your results below!

Thanks for reading guys!


* There may be spoilers in this section of the review. If you do not wish to be spoiled, please stop reading.

Comments

Popular Posts