Book Review- They Both Die at The End

Welcome back to another book review! 
Today I'm talking about a book I've heard extremely good reviews on. This is a short contemporary story by Adam Silvera called  They Both Die at The End. I had heard and seen great reviews through Youtube, Instagram, and other Book-ish websites. 
I was browsing through the daily Goodreads daily deals and noticed that it was $2 for the Kindle version and I knew I could pass it up. If you're not familiar with Goodreads daily deals, there around 5-8 E  books that are listed in the email that are between $0.99 and $3.00 and range from all sorts of genres. Some popular books will be listed, occasionally you will get the whole series of a book aswell. These deals are generally up for a few days, so if you accidentally delete the email, can't find the email, or want to make sure you don't miss a book you've been keeping your eye on, you can always visit here.
They Both Die At The End by Adam Silvera


Title: They Both Die At the End
Author: Adam Silvera
Published: 2017
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Fiction, LGBT

Plot: 
Characters: 
World Building: 
Flow: 

Synposis

   On September 5, a little after midnight, Death-Cast calls Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio to give them some bad news: They’re going to die today.

   Mateo and Rufus are total strangers, but, for different reasons, they’re both looking to make a new friend on their End Day. The good news: There’s an app for that. It’s called the Last Friend, and through it, Rufus and Mateo are about to meet up for one last great adventure—to live a lifetime in a single day.
- Pulled from Goodreads


Review *

   The entire story was so easy to devour, it only took me two days. I'm generally not a contemporary fan, but this was one book to definitely make an exception for. 
I loved the way we started the story with background information on Mateo and Rufus and what was happened up to when they received the call. The time line for Mateo especially during midnight and 2 p.m. I think really amplified what kind of personality he had and through the way Rufus speaks it sheds more into his character aswell. 

   The plot and characters marry together perfectly to keep the plot going, both of them making sure that they're getting the most out of their last moments and being optimistic. Rufus's perspective on Mateo is so beautiful and I think for me was the part of the book I will most treasure, even before their relationship really develops. The healing that Rufus is doing is also great because it's not obvious until halfway through the story how much these two needed each other in this moment.

   The peaks into other people's perspectives is also a great add to the narrative. I think it really helps from a story becoming potentially stagnant from just the perspective of the two main characters. I also loved how it tied in Mateo and Rufus though two, but from another person's view. 

  I gave the world building a 4 out of 5 hearts because at first I had so many questions on why Death Cast was a thing, or why did it suddenly pop up. The impact it had on characters in the story was cool to see though, especially for Deirdre and the story she wrote. If that ever became another novel that Adam Silvera writes I would 100% read it.

All around I do think this is a great story, but people should proceed with caution as there are some topics or tones that could be triggering. I suffer from depression and within the first 100 pages I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to finish it. There are talks of suicide and acts of violence.



You can find a copy on Amazon, check back to see if there are any sales like the one I was able to pick it up on!


Thanks for reading! I will see you in my next post! If you have any recommendations for contemporary books, please leave them below.


* There may be spoilers in this section of the review. If you do not wish to be spoiled, please stop reading.

Comments

Popular Posts